Friday Buzz: Get Employees to Follow Your Lead
Great leadership requires more than just the respect of your staff. Learn how great leaders get everyone to follow along. Also: How to handle employees who fail cybersecurity tests.
The boss is the boss, but there’s no reason that subordinates feel like they have to follow the rules. The right kind of leadership strategy might make them really want to do so.
A new CNBC article shares several tips from The Business Sergeant’s Field Manual, a book from leadership coach Chris Hallberg.
Hallberg notes that admirable leaders are brutally honest and decisive. “You’re actually doing everyone a favor when you say what needs to be said rather than tip-toeing around the problem,” he says.
He is also a big proponent of employing organizational operating systems. A system saves time and money and allows employees to have defined roles. “With a guide in place, 90 percent of the day-to-day can be run by systems, allowing you to give the remaining 10 percent of your undivided time and personal attention,” he says.
Hallberg goes on to say that great bosses support middle managers, give people leadership challenges, and are fair and consistent.
Who has the virtual keys to your member and financial data, and are they failing to act responsibly to guard those assets? @delcordan explores what to do in https://t.co/sbdMeSkQGz #assnchat pic.twitter.com/kHEY16Wo4i— DelCor (@delcor) February 23, 2018
Do you have employees who consistently struggle with cybersecurity? They could be putting your organization at risk.
In thinking about what to do with employees who just don’t seem to “get it,” first assess how much sensitive data they have access to, says a DelCor blog post.
An intern may only be able to access the internet, while an executive can reach your financial and membership databases. Focus on the high-risk employee first.
“That person may need individual coaching and/or an attitude adjustment,” writes Dan Lautman. “Discuss with HR what type of approach would work best for the individual, your culture, etc.”
Other Links of Note
Is the language you use subtly causing people to not donate to your organization? Future Fundraising Now reveals how it could be.
If your grantmaking strategy isn’t producing results, check out this post from The Nonprofit Marketing Blog to help diagnose potential problems.
Professional development is important to associations for a variety of reasons. The GuideStar blog explains why.
(phototechno/iStock/Getty Images Plus)