Bleisure: Who Covers the Side Trip?

What associations and employees should know about working "bleisure" into business trips.

An association typically covers the travel expenses of a staffer who’s working its conference. But if he or she decides to stay a few extra days or plans another trip before heading home, who covers the fare?

“My policy has always been to instruct staff to use reasonable judgment on airfare,” says Chris Williams, CAE, executive director of the National Child Support Enforcement Association. “The association will cover the cost of airfare to or from the city of association business only.”

That said, Williams makes a point of not being a hard-liner about it. “If [the staffer] can find total trip airfare for the business and nonbusiness segments that falls reasonably close to [the business-only] price, then I’ll allow it,” he says.

That day-after decompression mojito is on you, though. “The association will only reimburse for employee travel expenses during the conference,” he says.


Mark Athitakis

By Mark Athitakis

Mark Athitakis, a contributing editor for Associations Now, has written on nonprofits, the arts, and leadership for a variety of publications. He is a coauthor of The Dumbest Moments in Business History and hopes you never qualify for the sequel. MORE

Got an article tip for us? Contact us and let us know!